History of the Stoney Nakoda Resort & Casino
Alberta’s Nakoda First Nation operates the Stoney Nakoda Resort & Casino in Kananaskis. The Nakoda First Nation consists of three bands — Bearspaw, Chiniki and Wesley. The name Nakoda means a friend or an ally. The name “Stoney” was given to them by explorers, due to the fact that they used fire-heated rocks to boil broth in rawhide bowls.
The casino opened in the summer of 2008, and within a year the hotel part of the casino was completed and began to welcome guests. This facility uses the tagline “The basecamp of the Rockies.”
Slots machines at Stoney Nakoda Resort & Casino
The casino floor features 70,000 square feet of gambling space. You will find more than 250 slot machines. This casino offers Alberta’s only hybrid games by Scientific Games. This dealer-assisted electronic system allows players to bet on up to four games at once from a single terminal.
There is a major focus on jackpot slot games at this casino, with the Hot Hot Jackpot a popular choice. Other popular games on the casino floor include Triple Strike — where it is all about those sevens — and Double Dollar, where you line dollar symbols for the biggest wins. Robin Hood and the Monopoly-themed games are also available.
Video lottery terminals are available as well, allowing you to choose from a range of Class II games, including many additional slots.
You can enjoy slots on Sunday to Thursday from 10 a.m. till midnight, while the hours are extended until 2 a.m. on Friday and Saturday.
Table games at Stoney Nakoda Resort & Casino
Players will find a mix of table games at the casino. In total there are 15 tables with games like blackjack, roulette, baccarat and other offerings such as three card poker (where you can enjoy side bets with big prizes) and Extreme 21.
Table games can be played from 7 p.m. until midnight on Sunday to Thursday. The hours are extended here as well to 2 a.m. on Friday and Saturday.
Stoney Nakoda poker room
Cash games are available seven days a week in the separate poker room. Either join a game in progress or speak to a games manager to enquire about getting a game set up.
Alongside the cash games are a series of poker tournaments throughout the week. The weekly Saturday night poker tournament has a buy-in of $35 ($30 + $5) and starts at 7 p.m. Be in place at 6:45 p.m. to register or pre-book your seat by contacting the poker room beforehand.
The last Saturday of every month sees the “Special Poker Tournament” take place, with a buy-in of $105 ($100 + $5).
There are also regular poker leagues. As well as playing in the tournament, you earn points toward a leaderboard. Some of the initial buy-ins for all the league events will be withheld to offer a much larger prize pool for the championship game at the end of the league series.
Off-track betting in the Sidelines Lounge
You can enjoy off-track betting at the casino seven days a week in the Sidelines Lounge. Here you will be able to watch and wager on the best nationwide and international horse racing action on 12 TVs. Simulcast racing allows you to place all your favorite bets such as win, place, show, daily doubles, exactas, trifectas and more.
Winner’s Edge loyalty program
You can sign up to the Alberta-wide Winner’s Edge loyalty program at Stoney Nakoda. You can sign up either at the desk or head to the Winner’s Edge kiosk on site.
Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy as part of the program:
- Earn one point for every dollar wagered on slot machines.
- Redeem your points for free play at the casino.
- Earn bonus points throughout the year with special promotions.
- Enter into member-only contests.
- Earn a bonus of up to 50,000 points when you join the program.
- Enjoy a 10% discount on any menu item over $10 (does not include alcohol or any of the daily specials).
On the casino website you will find adverts featuring special discounts in the local area if you stay at the resort. Examples include 20% off a helicopter ride, 10% off a round of golf and 15% off if you want to go rafting.
Check out some of the special promotions on the website and across the resort’s social media pages. Good examples include the chance to win three times your normal loyalty points when you play on any carded slot machines or electronic table games. Look out for the chance to win thousands of bonus points when you introduce a friend to the Winner’s Edge program.
Stoney Nakoda Resort and Casino hotel amenities
The hotel at this resort is a great spot for a getaway with the family — it also works for a romantic weekend away or for a meeting/business trip. The hotel has 92 guest rooms as well as 18 suites. Each room offers a spacious floor plan and a view of the sunrise or surrounding Canadian Rocky Mountains.
Amenities at the hotel include complimentary high-speed wireless Internet, room service, plush duvets and pillows, enhanced workstations and comfy office chairs, free daily newspaper, in-room coffee/tea station and tiled showers with separate soaker tubs. All rooms include TV/internet service. Rooms are all nonsmoking.
There are two dining options at Stoney Nakoda Resort and Casino:
- The Ridge: At this first option you will find a family-friendly a la carte restaurant, where you can enjoy breakfast, lunch and dinner. For breakfast you can enjoy the Stoney Classic (two eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns, toast, sliced tomato and freshly made saskatoon jam). Enjoy omelets and a host of healthy options. In the lunch and dinner menus you will find a variety of appetizers, including chicken wings, pork ribs, casino nachos and quesadillas. A bunch of hand-held meals include a BLT, a triple decker chicken clubhouse and a chicken Caesar wrap. You can also enjoy custom made pizzas and burgers or the Kananaskis country fried chicken (in-house buttermilk and hand-breaded fried chicken). Deserts include salted caramel cheesecake and a sticky toffee pudding.
- Sidelines Lounge: This lounge opens at 10 a.m. daily and is the perfect place to enjoy the latest sports on the five HDTVs, with the biggest events on the 100” drop-down screen. The menu in the Sidelines Lounge matches that of The Ridge. You can also take advantage of the daily drink specials. For example, you can enjoy Bud or Kokanee bottles at a discounted price on a Monday, or a discounted draft beer on a Wednesday.
How does the Stoney Nakoda Resort & Casino compare?
The Stoney Nakoda Resort & Casino makes for an ideal casino getaway in a wonderful, picturesque setting. The more than 250 slots in the casino ensure that you have a choice of the latest titles — plus retro/traditional reel slot options. You can play all the classic table games at this casino. Fans of poker can find a cash game or a tournament to enjoy. Horse racing fans can check out the off-track betting experience. Note that unlike the bigger Calgary casinos, this venue is not 24/7.
There is more than just gambling at this resort. You can enjoy the a la carte menu at two locations. Options range from a quick breakfast to a sit-down three-course meal. If you want to make a weekend of it, book a room at the hotel, where you will enjoy a stunning view of the Rockies.