Blackjack, or 21, as it’s often called, is one of the most popular online casino games. Players love it because it is easy to learn and play, and it can have a low house edge if you know the basic strategy.
This guide will teach you how to play blackjack for free and give you information on the most common game variants that you might see at online casinos in Ontario. We’ll also go over the most reliable gambling sites that offer free blackjack games without requiring you to register or download additional software.
How to play blackjack for free
Whether you’re a seasoned casino player or a novice, you can begin playing free online blackjack in several steps:
- Pick a trustworthy online casino available in Canada that offers free blackjack games.
- Go to the casino website, open the games section and click on the table games or blackjack tab. For quicker access to all the blackjack titles the casino offers, simply type “blackjack” in the search bar.
- Choose a blackjack title you’d like to play, hover over the game logo and click on the demo or free play button.
- If necessary, confirm that you are of legal age to play casino games.
- Once the game loads, you will see a set amount of virtual money in your account. The virtual funds have no real worth, so playing with them won’t result in real prizes.
- Set the betting parameters and press the deal button to initiate the game.
Most online casinos offering free online blackjack allow their prospective players to play these games without signing up. There is also no need to deposit any money — just use the virtual currency to play. When you’ve used it up, refresh the game to reset the amount.
Online casinos offer free games to allow players to try out the platform before registering. However, some games won’t be available to try for free, such as live dealer games. You have to have a registered account and enough money in your balance to play these titles.
Free blackjack games
In its original form, blackjack is one of the most straightforward casino games. However, its popularity has given rise to myriad variations gracing the gaming portfolios of many Canadian online casinos. Here are some of blackjack’s most common iterations:
- Single-hand blackjack — This is the most common blackjack variant in online casinos. The game’s title is pretty self-explanatory — you play only one hand at a time. One of its most attractive features is a house edge that can be only 0.15%.
- Multi-hand blackjack — This variation allows you to play multiple hands simultaneously. As a more complex version that plays out quickly, it is not suitable for beginners.
- Spanish 21 — The main feature of this game is that the deck of cards you use to play doesn’t contain any 10s. Some players like it for its more generous payouts and other quirks. For instance, players win if they have a blackjack, regardless of the dealer’s hand.
- Blazing 777 Blackjack — The defining feature of this variant is its side bet, which allows players to win if the dealer deals them a seven. This is a coveted card in Blazing 777, as the more of them you have, the more you can win. In addition to the regular prizes, the title also features jackpots.
- Blackjack Pro — Whereas classic blackjack can use eight decks, Blackjack Pro uses just one deck of cards, shuffled after every round. It allows splitting, but not re-splitting. Placing an insurance bet is possible only when the dealer’s upcard is an ace. An additional rule is that the dealer must hit on a soft 17.
- Zappit Blackjack — If the player’s initial hand totals 15 to 18, the player can mulligan. In addition, the game can end in either a push or a win. Players still lose if they go bust.
- Poker and Pairs Blackjack — In this game variant, you can make two specific side bets and play up to three hands simultaneously. The side bets are the pair and poker bet (betting on hitting a three-card poker hand).
- Infinite Blackjack — The “infinite” in the title of this game signifies that it can accept an unlimited number of participants simultaneously. It has two side bets — the Hot 3 and the Bust It side bets — and it utilizes the “6 card Charlie” rule.
What are the benefits of playing online blackjack for free?
Even though you can’t win any real money playing online blackjack for free, there are still a few benefits:
- It helps you understand the odds — Being a good blackjack player means you understand the game’s odds and can adjust your strategy accordingly. Free blackjack games have the same odds as their counterparts that use real money. Therefore, they can help you learn the odds without losing a ton of money in the process.
- It helps you master the rules — If you’ve never played blackjack before, you’ll need to learn the rules before entering real money games. Not only does free blackjack help you do this, but you can also play it for as long as you need to hone your skills without risking any money.
- It’s a form of entertainment — If you like games that require the use of a specific strategy to win, you may enjoy playing blackjack. Even though playing for real money brings more thrill, free blackjack offers the same gameplay entertainment without any risk.
Casino apps with free blackjack
If you’re like us, being able to play casino games whenever you want is imperative. Luckily, many online casinos have apps you can use to play free blackjack games on the go. Here is an overview:
- DraftKings Casino: If variety is your top priority, the DraftKings Casino app might be worth checking out. DraftKings offers more than 20 blackjack variations, many of which are exclusive titles you can’t find on other gambling sites.
- BetMGM Casino: A world leader in online gambling and sports betting, BetMGM has a sizable blackjack selection. In addition to some popular variants, it also features a few exclusive options.
- Caesars Casino: Caesars is one of the biggest and longest-standing names in both land-based and online casinos. As such, it offers high-quality blackjack software, including both the regular variants and some specific finds.
- FanDuel Casino: This gambling and sports betting company offers a decent collection of blackjack titles you can play for free on all your devices.
Other free casino games
If you like playing blackjack, you may find other free casino games interesting and useful. Here are some of the most popular ones:
- Free slots — Video slots are, by far, the most diverse casino game category. There are thousands of titles, so using real money to explore them is not the most budget-savvy approach. Our free online slots guide helps you learn where and how to try these games for free before deciding which titles are worth committing to.
- Free roulette — During its three-century history, roulette has gone through many transformations. Our guide covers the most reliable online casinos that offer these roulette games for free and how to make the most of them.
- Free video poker — Video poker is one of the most popular online casino games. Its base form has been an inspiration for many iterations that have appeared over the years. Many online casinos offer these titles for free, providing an option for players to get to know the ins and outs of the genre without breaking the bank.
Free online blackjack vs. real money blackjack
As we’ve already discussed above, playing online blackjack for free has some advantages. However, there is only so much you can achieve playing for free.
|Free Online Blackjack||Real Money Blackjack|
|Excellent for beginners||More suitable for knowledgeable players|
|Great for learning the rules and developing a strategy||Potential to win real money if you play with good strategy|
|Casino account not necessary||Obligation to sign up and deposit money to be able to play|
|No financial risk, but no real money prizes||Potential to lose real money, too|
|Unlimited budget||Additional thrill to the gameplay|
Tips for switching to real-money play
In free blackjack, you can do pretty much anything you want, make as many mistakes as you want, and you won’t have to bear any consequences. However, when you transition to playing for real money, you have to be much more careful, as you risk losing your funds. Here are some tips to keep in mind when playing blackjack for real money:
- Take some time to learn the basic strategy — Playing blackjack takes knowledge and skill, so your playing decisions can make all the difference in whether you win or lose. Therefore, make sure you know what to do in different situations to maximize your winning potential and decrease the house edge.
- Know which tables to join — Some blackjack variants have a higher house edge than others. A good rule of thumb is to choose a game where the dealer stands on a soft 17. You should also look for tables that pay 3:2 for blackjack because these games have a lower house edge.
- Learn how to manage your budget — When you play any casino game for real money, you should be prepared to lose. However, you can minimize losses by planning your daily, weekly and even monthly gambling budget in advance. Also, it’s a good idea to stick to minimum bets as a beginner.
What is the best blackjack game to play?
Different blackjack variants have different characteristics, so you should learn about them to be able to pick one that suits your playing style best. Below are some of the most popular blackjack games and the online casinos that offer them.
|Variant||Rating||Free Mobile Game||Best Casino|
|Blazing 777 Blackjack||5||Yes||BetMGM|
|Super Fun 21||4||Yes||Caesars|
Which online casino has the best selection of free games?
DraftKings offers the most extensive selection of free blackjack games. Not only does it feature the standard blackjack titles, but it also has some exclusives.
Do I need to download and create an account?
No, you don’t. Casinos don’t require that players create accounts or download any additional software to play blackjack games for free. However, if you want to play for real or enter live dealer tables, you’ll have to register, deposit and possibly download the casino’s app.
Can I win real money playing free blackjack?
Usually, you can’t. Free blackjack games use virtual money that has no value, so you can’t win any real money while playing. However, some casinos may offer no deposit bonuses you can use on blackjack games, allowing you to win real prizes without making a deposit.
Still, you should read the terms and conditions carefully since these offers come with wagering requirements you’ll need to fulfill to release your winnings. On top of that, even if a casino offers a no deposit bonus, you may not be able to clear the requirement playing blackjack games.
Are free blackjack games rigged?
No, they’re not. Despite allowing you to play for free, these games operate in the same way as real money games.
Is blackjack a luck-based game or a skill-based game?
The game features elements of both luck and skill. Knowing and employing the basic strategy can help players decrease the house edge.