History of the Sand Hills Casino in Manitoba
The Sand Hills Casino in Carberry, MB, opened on June 23, 2014. It was built with the aim of benefitting the local First Nations community. On opening, Manitoba Grand Chief Derek Nepinak stated:
“After many years of working towards a casino in Western Manitoba, we’re very proud to open a business that will benefit all First Nations in the province.”
The province’s 63 First Nations will all equally gain a share of the profit from the casino and it was expected to have a cumulative economic impact of in the region of $150 million in the region. This benefit comes in the form of the workforce, increased business opportunities, and additional spending in the local area. The casino is the third First Nations casino built in Manitoba. The others are South Beach, located on the Brokenhead Ojibway Nation reserve, and the Aseneskak Casino on the Opaskwayak Cree Nation north of The Pas, Man.
Slots at Sand Hills Casino
The casino floor at the casino is certainly colourful — with slots from all the major providers competing to attract your attention. There are more than 300 slots, with a good mix of some of the newest slot games in the industry and those classic slots featuring traditional symbols such as bars, bells, and sevens.
Many players head to a casino to have the chance at landing that big win. You can take a shot at life-changing money by playing one of the many slots with progressive jackpots. Many progressives are linked between different machines, allowing for bigger prize pools.
For casinos in Manitoba, the PowerBucks progressive jackpot is the most sought after for one big reason – the million dollar-plus prize fund. This IGT slot gives you the chance to walk away a millionaire in just seconds. It typically pays out the $1 million+ prize a few times each year.
The Quick Hit range of slot games from Bally are also popular. These games feature a Quick Hit scatter symbol that can pay a huge progressive with nine anywhere in view. Other popular slot games at the Sand Hills Casino include Golden Egypt, Ocean Magic, and Golden Jungle. Games such as Buffalo Grand, Double Diamond Deluxe, Cats, and American Original Gold also draw a crowd.
One look at the social media pages of this casino will show you just how often the large prizes are paid out. Images of big winners are posted several times a week.
Table games at the Sand Hills Casino
There are just seven tables at this casino, offering the following popular games:
- Blackjack: A classic game where you go head to head with the dealer with the aim of coming as close to 21 as possible without going over or holding a live hand when the dealer busts. Blackjack is a game with a low house edge, meaning if your blackjack strategy is good, you have a decent chance of walking away with a profit. You can split pairs, double down, hit, and request insurance.
- Roulette: Roulette has been enjoyed by millions of players over hundreds of years and is still going strong. Place your chips on a single number, odd or even, red or black, and combinations of numbers. This game is simple enough for new players to understand, while advanced players enjoy pitting their betting strategy against the house.
Sand Hills Casino poker room
As well as the classic table games above, you can also enjoy Texas Hold’em poker games against other players at the casino. You will be dealt two hole-cards and then aim to make the best five card hand with your two cards and the five community cards. With four betting rounds, it is possible to win long-term at this game, as long as you are more skilled than your opponents.
Gold Club loyalty scheme
The loyalty scheme at the casino is called the ‘Gold Club’. To enrol in the scheme, you simply head to the Gold Club counter at the casino. You will be given a membership card, as well as an immediate $10 of free slot play. This means that it is worth signing up, even if your visit to the Sand Hills Casino is a one-off.
Every time you play at the casino you earn Gold Club points and these can be redeemed for either real cash back (every 400 points will award you with one dollar in cash back), on merchandise at the gift store, or on food/drinks at the restaurant and bar. In addition, you will also receive the following benefits:
- A 10% discount on dining in the Dunes Restaurant and Oasis Bar and Lounge.
- A 25% discount on clothing and gifts in the gift shop.
- Club 55 members (only to members of the casino who are aged 55 and over) can enjoy a 25% discount on dining in Dunes Restaurant and the Oasis Bar and Lounge.
Other Sand Hills Casino promotions
The ongoing promotions at the casino are linked to the Gold Club scheme.
- Play at either penny slots or $1 slots at any time between Monday and Thursday and you will receive those all-important loyalty points at 10x the usual rate.
- Play at the same games on a Friday and Saturday and the points will be multiplied by five for the penny slots and doubled when playing the $1 games.
Dining options at Sand Hills Casino
There are two dining options at this Manitoba casino:
- Dunes Restaurant: This restaurant’s opening hours are 4.30pm to 9pm from Friday to Sunday. It offers locally sourced food as well as dishes from around the globe. In addition to the standard menu, you can enjoy the daily specialty buffets. The Country Style buffet is available on Friday, the Prime Rib buffet on Saturday, and the Ukrainian buffet on Sunday.
- Oasis Bar and Grill: The restaurant is open from 11am to midnight on Sunday through Thursday, and from 11am to 1.30am on Friday and Saturday. On the menu you will find a nice mix of classic dishes and hand-held food. On the entrées section of the menu, the New York 9oz steak, served with garlic toast and two sides will appeal to many, as will the sliced prime rib and Yorkshire pudding. The ‘Bowls’ section offers a variety of salads including Caesar salad and Asian chicken salad, as well as the signature bison chilli. Hand-held items on the menu include the double cheeseburger, Newella’s Ultimate Bologna Burger, and the Nashville Hot Chicken Sandwich. Appetizers include chicken wings, soy-glazed chicken skewers, traditional poutine, and fried pickles.
Relax and enjoy a drink at the Oasis Lounge, where you’ll find cocktails, beers, wine, and much more.
Members of the loyalty scheme can use Gold Club discounts at both the Oasis Bar and Grill and the Dunes Restaurant.
Other Casinos in Manitoba
In summary – how does Sand Hills Casino compare?
The Sand Hills Casino is an ideal location for casino fans in Southwestern Manitoba, the wider province, and for tourists. The casino floor offers more than 300 slots — enough to provide a range that includes something for all tastes. Options include the PowerBucks progressive jackpot slots, plus many other popular ranges, including Buffalo, Quick Hits, and Lightning Link.
Alongside slot gaming, players can take on the dealer in blackjack, try their luck at the roulette wheel, or take on others at the poker tables. Every time you play you can earn Gold Club reward points, which you can redeem for cash or discounts. Head to the Oasis Bar and Grill for food at any time of day, or book the Dunes restaurant for fine dining and specialty buffets.