Lead Writer, Bonus.com
As Managing Editor, Canada, Robyn McNeil oversees news coverage at PlayCanada.com. Day-to-day, Robyn works with her content manager, co-editor, writers, and behind-the-scenes team to ensure comprehensive coverage of Canada’s gambling and sports betting news. In addition to assigning and editing stories, McNeil also publishes her writing on the site, too.
Recently she’s expanded her coverage to include PlayIllinois, PlayVirginia and PlayNY, so days are never boring.
Career-wise, Robyn is a ‘Girl Friday’ with experience spanning industries, including kitchens, music, film, tech, and journalism. While she has nearly 20 years of writing and editing experience, she’s only spent a few years on the gambling beat. But she’s been utterly fascinated since starting her journey.
Outside of work, you’ll most likely find Robyn twisting herself into challenging shapes, playing in the dirt, and exploring the coastlines of Nova Scotia. The proud mom of a remarkable teenage son lives there (in a newly empty nest) with her ridiculous cat, Edith Edna.
“We have found by looking globally that online cannibalization is largely a myth, often propagated by brick-and-mortar casino operators understandably concerned that online gaming will eat into their profits.The truth is that online casinos and sportsbooks often act as a tide that lifts all boats, expanding the market to the benefit of all industry stakeholders.”
Commenting on the publication of PlayCanada’s Ontario iGaming Jobs Report
Canadian Gambling Articles By Robyn McNeil
iGaming Jobs In Ontario: 1295 Jobs Expected For Ontario iGaming
Ontario Sportsbooks: PointsBet Brings “Eh” Game To Canadian Market
New Gambling Tech: Kero Sports And The “TikTokification” Of Online Sports Betting
The Drake Problem: 5 Ways Drake Could Have Spent $400K That Don’t Include Losing A Massive Bet
“This was a good start for British Columbia under the circumstances, but the choice to create a closed market will continue to affect the sports betting industry. There are trade-offs, of course. An open market offers broader benefits for the province and its residents, but a closed market should return a larger share of revenue to the province.”
Commenting on BCLC’s initial single-event sports betting report post-legalization
Robyn’s Media Mentions
- Business Insider: Sports Betting Goes Live In Ontario: Why It’s Important
- Canadian Gaming Business: PlayCanada Report Outlines Job Creation Potential In Ontario
- CTV Windsor: ‘This Has Been A Long Time In The Making’: IGaming Launches In Ontario
- iheartradio.ca: Report Argues Online Gambling Will Create 1300 Jobs In Ontario
Posts by Robyn McNeil:
- PlayCanada Predicts: What’s In The Cards For Canada Gambling In 2023?, 06 Jan 2023
- Io Saturnalia! Gambling’s Pre-Christmas Past, 29 Dec 2022
- Kahnawà:ke Vs. Ontario (Part 2): History Of Indigenous Gaming, Political Conflict, 22 Dec 2022
- Kahnawà:ke Vs. Ontario (Part 1): A “Last-Ditch” Challenge Of Ontario Gambling, 21 Dec 2022
- Calgary’s ACE Airport Casino Officially Opens, 25 Nov 2022
- Casino Workers Hold Information Picket At Cape Breton Eagles Game, 25 Nov 2022
- New Daily Jackpot, Live Dealer Games, And Parlays Arrive At theScore Bet, 18 Nov 2022
- PointsBet VP Talks Online Casinos Positive Impact On Sports Betting, 09 Nov 2022
- Pinnacle Sportsbook “Ready To Compete” Legally in Ontario, 31 Oct 2022
- 5 Tips To Improve Player Experience At Online Casinos In Canada, 20 Oct 2022