History of the Shorelines Casino Thousand Islands
This Ontario casino was first announced in 2000 and opened its doors for the first time in June 2002. The casino floor features 15,000 square feet of gaming space and is located on Highway 2. Shorelines Casino has had three different names previously. It started as the OLG Casino Thousand Islands, before becoming the Thousand Islands Charity Casino and the Thousand Islands Casino. In 2016 the casino was taken over by the Great Canadian Gaming Corporation and has since been operated by Shorelines Casinos.
Gaming at Shorelines Casino 1000 Islands
Shorelines Casino Thousand Islands in Gananoque, Ontario, offers its visitors the following casino gaming options:
You will find the usual mix of classic and modern slot games in the slot selection at Shorelines Casino Thousand Islands — with 550 games in total. The Lightning Link range, featuring linked jackpots is a popular choice, as well as the entertaining Hold and Spin bonus features. Both Magic Pearl and Sahara Gold versions of Lightning Link can be found at Thousand Islands. The Ultra-Stacks range is also a popular choice with Lion, Bison, and Dragon versions of the game available.
One of the most innovative games at the casino is ‘Selextion’, which offers the chance to play ten games in one cabinet. Buffalo Grand is a classic slot that has been a mainstay at casinos for a number of years and always draws a crowd. A selection of Asian-themed games is also among the highlights, including Dragon Law Twin Fever, China Shore Double Winnings, Gong Xi Fa Cai, and 5 Dragons Gold.
The table games section of the casino features a wide selection of the most popular options. There are 26 tables in total. Here is a brief rundown of the games:
- Blackjack: The classic card game sees you go head-to-head with the dealer, aiming to reach as close as possible to 21 without going over, or hold any hand when the dealer busts.
- Spanish 21: A form of blackjack where the player always wins when hitting 21, and the tens are removed from the deck.
- EZ ‘Squeeze’ Baccarat: An exciting form of the classic game where you can bet on the player, the banker, or the tie.
- Roulette: Bet on red, black, odd, even, single numbers, and more, and watch the action on the roulette wheel.
- Three Card Poker: Better the dealer’s three card poker hand and have the opportunity of placing the ‘Pairs Plus’ side bet.
- Mississippi Stud: An exciting casino poker variation over multiple betting rounds, where the payout is decided based on the strength of your hand.
- High Card Flush: Your aim is to have multiple cards of the same suit, with optional side bets available.
- Ultimate Texas Hold’em: Based on the classic poker game, you bet against the dealer over a flop, turn, and river.
- Crazy Four Poker: With two bonus bets, this game is an expanded version of Three Card Poker.
- Mini Baccarat: A smaller and lower stakes version of Punto Banco Baccarat.
Axis Rewards program
The reward program at the casino is called ‘Axis Rewards’. This scheme allows players to earn points as they play that can later be redeemed for free play at the casino or dining credits at participating restaurants.
The scheme has four levels:
- Blue: This is the level you join when first becoming part of the rewards scheme. Members earn an Axis reward point for every $1 they spend on a slot and for every $2 wagered at video poker. In addition, you get a 10% discount at the Windward Restaurant, as well a member discount at the Buffet Restaurant. You also receive access to promotions and offers and a complimentary coat check.
- Silver (5,000 points): Having reached 5,000 points you get to silver level. At this level members receive a 5% boost on points earned, as well as a 15% discount at the restaurant. You’ll also receive all the benefits offered at the Blue level.
- Gold (50,000 points): Your points boost is upgraded to 10% and the discount at the restaurant is increased to 20%. Preferred partner benefits can become available and you will also enjoy invites to exclusive events.
- Privé (200,000 points): The top tier enjoys the same points boost and discount as Gold levels as well as a member discount at the buffet for you and up to four guests. Early gift pick up and VIP parking also comes as part of the package, as well as personalized invites to events.
To sign up to the scheme head to guest services at the casino with a government-issued photo ID. You will be given a four-digit pin that you can use to redeem points instantly at your chosen game.
In addition to the Axis scheme, you’ll also be able to enjoy a series of other promotions at the casino. Examples include the ‘Cupid’s Keys’ event in February, where players can win $2,500 of free play each week, with the chance to enter the grand prize draw and win $5,000 of free play.
Slot tournaments are a regular feature at Shorelines Thousand Islands, where the best players can win instant bonus prizes. ‘Player Appreciation Days’ offer players the chance to win merchandise if sitting in the ‘hot seat’.
Shorelines Casino Thousand Islands poker room
You will find both cash games and tournaments available at Shorelines Thousand Islands. The poker room is open between 6pm to 2am from Monday to Wednesday and from 11am through 4am Thursday to Sunday. There are two weekly scheduled tournaments:
- Thursdays: $125 no limit Texas Hold’em tournament starting at 11am.
- Sundays: $60 no limit Texas Hold’em tournament starting at 11am.
Dining at Shorelines Casino Thousand Islands
The main eatery at the casino in Thousand Islands is the Windward Restaurant and Lounge. This restaurant serves a mix of North American cuisine, with the menu divided between ‘First Impressions’ (starters), ‘Soup and Salad’ and ‘Favourite Sandwiches’.
Highlights on the starter menu include quesadillas, traditional nachos, and chicken tenders served with a plum sauce. The salads include Caesar, garden and Greek, and you can upgrade any of these to an entrée by adding chicken, salmon, or steak.
On the ‘Favourite Sandwiches’ section of the menu you’ll find both a classic burger and a Shoreline burger. The latter features a char-grilled beef burger with pea-meal bacon, sauteed mushrooms, onions, Havarti cheese, and crispy onion rings. The classic BLT is also featured on the menu (you can opt for a PLT featuring pea-meal bacon too), as well as a steak sandwich, and a traditional club sandwich. All dishes on this part of the menu come with a choice of fresh salad, fresh cut fries, or soup of the day (you can also upgrade your fries to poutine for an additional cost).
All Ontario Casino Reviews
In summary — how does the Shorelines Casino Thousand Islands compare?
The Shoreline Casino Thousand Islands is an ideal location if you want that local casino experience, with a Las Vegas flavour. With more than 500 slots to enjoy on the 15,000 square foot casino floor, there are gaming options for every taste. The table games selection is impressive, with a larger variety of games than you might expect at a mid-sized casino. Head into the poker section and you can play both cash games and tournaments, giving you the chance to test your skills against other players. At the end of a day’s gaming, head to the Windward Restaurant and Lounge for the best in dining; sign up to the Axis rewards program and you will enjoy a nice discount on your order.