History of the Bear Claw Casino in Saskatchewan
Of all the casinos that are part of the SIGA group, The Bear Claw Casino is the most historic. The original launch came in 1993 on the White Bear First Nations, near Carlyle, SK.
It was soon shut down, at the start of what would be a long-running court battle with the provincial government. This is recorded as an emotional and contentious time for the First Nations. It took three years of legal battles for the casino to reopen in November 1996.
The casino has thrived in the more than two decades since. The region attracts tourists from all over SK, plus Manitoba and the US. A new outdoor event arena has been built, the Bear Claw Hotel has opened, and the addition of ten RV parking slots have only seen the casino grow in recent years.
Slots at Bear Claw Casino
The highlight of the slots section at the casino is the chance to become an instant millionaire. This comes as part of the ‘Smoke Signals Jackpot’. The prize pool starts at $1 million and is guaranteed to pay out before it reaches $2 million.
Knowing that you could be a millionaire if you win the jackpot certainly adds some excitement to a session on the slots at Bear Claw Casino.
Alongside the ‘Smoke Signals’ jackpot, you will also have the opportunity to win the ‘Rider Nation’ progressive prize. This second progressive jackpot must pay before it reaches $100,000.
As well as the jackpot slots, you will find that the casino floor is regularly updated with the best and most exciting new slots to hit the marketplace. Here is a list of some of the most recent slots that appear in SIGA-owned casinos:
- The Walking Dead 2
- Wild Fury
- Star Rise
- Savage Eyes
- Ocean Magic
- Legends of Change
- Majestic Gorilla
- Big 5 Safari
- Sparkling Roses
- Freya’s Magic
- Golden Wolves
- Fortune Stacks
- Chili Chili Fire
Electronic table games at The Circuit
If you enjoy classic table games, there are options available at ‘The Circuit’. This is an electronic gaming area, which offers a high-tech take on traditional casino games. There are no regular tables with dealers at the Bear Claw Casino.
The games available are:
Sit yourself in one of the high-tech neon chairs and you will be enjoying these classic games in a futuristic setting, with a host/dealer available to assist you. Stakes start from just $2 per hand, making this electronic game more accessible than regular tables at other casinos.
There is no poker room or keno / bingo facility available at this casino.
Rewards Club loyalty programme
When heading to play at the Bear Claw Casino and Hotel, it certainly pays to sign up for the Rewards Club. This will get you comps, bonuses and discounts on spending at the resort.
You can sign up at Guest Services and will receive a Rewards Club card. This can be inserted into any slot machine and will log your play so you can earn points. You get one point for every $1 in credits played on slots. Every time you earn 1,000 points you will receive $5 in cash.
As part of the scheme you can qualify for additional rewards such as free slot play, plus entry into members-only draws. There are one-off members-only promotions to enjoy too.
Members of the Rewards Club get 10% off dining at the restaurants at the resort and discounts at the hotel. You can also enjoy exclusive entertainment events and take part in advanced purchases, with 10% off during pre-sales for members.
On signing up for your free membership of the scheme you will immediately receive $10 in free slot play. One of the other benefits of this scheme is that it is accessed across all the casinos in the SIGA group. It is easy to earn loyalty points at one casino and redeem them at another.
Other promotions at Bear Claw Casino and Hotel
There are a series of other promotions available at the casino — keep an eye on both the Bear Claw Casino website and its social media pages for the very latest offers. Here is a look at some of the recurring promotions:
- Triple Cash Back: If you play a slot machine or an electronic table game on a Monday or Tuesday before 3pm, you will earn points at 3x the normal rate.
- Happy Birthday: If you play at the casino during your birthday month you can use your Players Club card at any slot to spin the ‘birthday wheel’. This will award you either free slot play or bonus points.
- Mystery Bonus: Play slots on Wednesdays and earn ten points or more and you can qualify to win a Mystery Bonus of up to $150. Prizes are paid out hourly between 5pm and 10pm.
- Off to the Races: Earn 100 points in an hour between 5pm and 10pm, then place your money on a horse and split the purse with all the other winners.
Bear Claw Casino & Hotel amenities
Bear Claw Hotel
SIGA group aims to offer its guests a ‘distinctive first nations hospitality experience’. This hotel has a smoke-free policy and amenities include access to a fitness centre and Wi-Fi. A complimentary continental breakfast is available for guests between the hours of 6am to 10am daily. Recreation and attractions in the Moose Mountain Provincial Park area include golf, swimming, hiking trails, fishing, a drive-in theatre, waterslides, and relaxing on the sandy beaches of Kenosee Lake.
There are three different dining options at this casino:
- Growlers Restaurant: This restaurant is open from 5pm though 9pm Tuesday through Saturday. Check out the SIGA burger which features a butcher’s grilled cut beef, cheddar cheese, smoky bacon, sliced tomatoes, red onions, kosher dill, and leaf lettuce served on a potato scallion bun. The steak sandwich, the Bear Claw taco salad, a steak sandwich, and many more appear on the menu.
- Charley Bigg’s Chicken: This fast food-style outlet is open seven days a week from 10am through 1am. Choose from chicken combos and chicken finger combos with sides that include potato salad and potato wedges.
- The Deli: This venue is also open from 10am through 1am daily. Here you can buy sandwiches, dry ribs, crispy chicken, hot dogs, pizzas and more. Cookies and muffins will also catch the eye.
Other Casinos in Saskatchewan
Summing up — how does Bear Claw Casino and Hotel in Saskatchewan compare?
If you want to enjoy a casino in an idyllic location, Bear Claw in SK might be the perfect venue for you. While the number of games available does not match up to some of the larger casinos in the province, the quality of those games isn’t in question. Bear Claw ensures that it has the latest titles from all the big games creators.
Table games are available in electronic format. The eye-catching ‘The Circuit’ adds a futuristic theme to classic casino games including roulette, blackjack, baccarat, and three-card poker. Head to Growlers Restaurant for a meal, or pick up something quicker at Charley Bigg’s Chicken or the Deli. To enjoy the setting, as well as the facilities, there is a hotel.