The Gold Horse Casino has been in operation since the end of 2018. This casino is located in the border town of Lloydminster, which spans Saskatchewan and Alberta, making it an ideal location for visitors from both provinces. Gold Horse is open from noon to 2 a.m. on Sunday to Thursday, with the hours extended till 3 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.
At the Gold Horse Casino, you can enjoy 250 slot machines. They include games with progressive jackpots, and many of the latest titles from international slot providers. Table games fans can play the classic games of roulette and blackjack. “Phil ’Em Up” is the choice for those who like something a little different. There are three dining options to choose from at this popular SK casino.
On this page you will find everything you need to know ahead of a trip to the Gold Horse Casino. First, there is a brief history of the casino and its ownership under the SIGA group. Next, we cover all the gambling options in detail, including information on two impressive progressive jackpots. The page ends by detailing the loyalty program and player promotions — plus a look at the dining and entertainment options.
Gold Horse Casino Lloydminster, SK
- Address: 3910 41 St., Lloydminster, SK
- Owner/Operator: Saskatchewan Indian Gaming Authority
- Hours: Sunday to Thursday, 12 p.m. to 2 a.m.; Friday to Saturday. 12 p.m. to 3 a.m.
- Casino games: 250+ slots, roulette, blackjack and Phil ’Em Up, plus electronic table games
- Sportsbook: N/A
- Poker: N/A
Canadian Casinos in the News
History of the Gold Horse Casino
The Gold Horse Casino is a First Nations casino located in the Saskatchewan section of the border town of Lloydminster. The facility is situated on land owned by the Little Pine First Nation and is owned and operated by the Saskatchewan Indian Gaming Authority. Gold Horse is one of seven casinos included in this group.
An agreement to launch the casino was finalized in June 2017, and the casino opened its doors to the public for the first time on Dec. 21, 2018. Gold Horse offers an impressive 49,000 square feet of casino space.
The other six casinos in the SIGA range are the Bear Claw Casino and Hotel, the Dakota Dunes Casino, the Gold Eagle Casino, the Living Sky Casino, the Northern Lights Casino and the Painted Hand Casino.
Slots at the Gold Horse Casino
The casino focuses on offering a range of slots that are available to various gambling budgets at the Gold Horse Casino. Spins start at just one cent and range through two cents, five cents, 25 cents and up to $1.
Progressive jackpots give you the chance to win a giant prize on selected slots. The Rider Nation progressive prize has a “must pay by” element that adds interest to players. This jackpot is seeded at $50,000. The twist is that this jackpot is guaranteed to pay out by the time it reaches $100,000. When the total gets close, slots that participate get extremely popular.
The second notably progressive jackpot is the Smoke Signals jackpot. This jackpot pay starts at an incredible $1 million and is guaranteed to be won by the time it reaches $2 million, ensuring that whoever walks away with the win has had their life changed forever.
There are many other jackpot prizes and big money bonuses associated with individual games.
Alongside these popular jackpot slots, players will enjoy a nice choice of the newest slots to have hit casino floors globally. SIGA is known for introducing some of the most modern games into its casinos. You will find games like Legends of Change, Majestic Gorilla, Big 5 Safari, King of Macedonia, The Walking Dead 2, Savage Eyes and many more.
Table games at Gold Horse Casino
Gold Horse has a small number of table games, offering a mix of classics and entertaining newer variations. Here is what is available:
- Blackjack: Take on the dealer in this classic casino game, with the aim of reaching as close to 21 as possible without going over, or of having a live hand when the dealer busts.
- Roulette: Bet on single numbers, red or black, odd or even and more in this timeless game.
- Phil ’Em Up: This is an entertaining game played with one pack of cards and a joker, with the aim of making a five-card poker hand with your two cards and the dealer’s three cards.
- Chase the Flush: A new game where players and the dealer compete to make the longest possible seven-card flush using three hole cards and four community cards.
Electronic table games at The Circuit
To enjoy a modern twist on table games, you can head to The Circuit. This venue offers an electronic game system that allows players to play roulette, baccarat, blackjack games and three card poker, all with a live dealer. Flashing lights and special effects make this format feel futuristic. Minimum stakes are smaller than traditional table games — starting from just $2.
Players Club rewards
The loyalty program at the Gold Horse Casino in Lloydminster is the Players Club. This program sees you earn loyalty points every time you gamble. To sign up, you can head to the Players Club desk at the casino. You will receive a Players Club card, as well as the instant reward of $10 to play at the slots.
As you play, you earn one loyalty point for every dollar you spend at the slots, table games and electronic table games. Every time you reach 5,000 points, you can redeem this for $5 in cash back. As part of the program, you will also enjoy the following rewards:
- Qualification for free slots play.
- Entry into member-only free draws and promotions.
- Access to the Rewards Centre for special offers and draws.
- Discounts at preferred hotels.
- 10% off dining at the casino restaurants.
- Invitations into member-only entertainment events.
- Advance purchases on tickets for specific events.
- 10% off tickets in advanced presales.
Other promotions at the Gold Horse Casino
Players will also find a number of other promotions at the casino. Many are linked with the Players Club, giving you even more reason to sign up.
If you head to the casino on a Monday or Tuesday afternoon and play any slots or electronic table games before 3 p.m., you get three times the usual loyalty points.
Head to the Gold Horse at any time during your birthday month and play at any slot machine using your Players Club card, and you will have the opportunity to spin the new Birthday Wheel. Prizes include bonus slot play or loyalty points.
One of the most entertaining promotions is Off to the Races, where you get to choose a horse. To qualify, you need to earn 100 points on a Sunday between 5 p.m. and 10 p.m. If you bet on the winning horse, you split the purse with the other lucky winners. Play on a Wednesday and you’ll get the chance to win up to $150 every hour between 5 p.m. and 10 p.m. by simply earning 10 reward points.
Other seasonal draws and promotions also take place on holidays such as Christmas and Halloween — keep an eye on the social media of the casino to see what other offers and bonuses you can enjoy.
Gold Horse Casino restaurants & dining
There are three dining options available at the casino:
- Bar and Grill Restaurant: The main restaurant option at the Gold Horse is the Bar and Grill. This venue is open from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. daily. On the menu you will find a nice mix of your favourite meals. Options include fish and chips, a steak sandwich, Caesar salad and sides and starters that include chicken wings and dry ribs. Signature meals include the Gold Horse barbecue ribs (slow cooked and seasoned with the in-house tangy honey barbecue sauce) and the SIGA Burger (featuring grilled butcher’s cut beef on a potato scallion bun).
- Charley Biggs Chicken: If you prefer a fried chicken fix, Charley Biggs Chicken is open daily from noon to 1 a.m. Order pieces of chicken by themselves, chicken combos and chicken finger combos. Sides include potato salad and potato wedges.
- The Deli: The Deli is also open from noon to 1 a.m. every day. Here you can pick up lighter food such as sandwiches, salads and stir fry/noodle bowls. Pizzas and hot dogs also are available if you want to enjoy something to go.
Other Casinos in Saskatchewan
In summary: How does the Gold Horse Casino compare?
The Gold Horse Casino is an ideal stop for casino goers from Saskatchewan and Alberta. At nearly 50,000 square feet of space, this venue is bigger than most tribal casinos. There are more than 250 slots to choose from, including games with progressive jackpots of more than a million dollars. The range of table games offers a mix of the traditional and newer formats. The Circuit provides a new, modern way of enjoying your favourite casino table games. When you have finished playing, head to the Bar and Grill in the evening for a meal to end your day.