Most of the casino software houses covered here at Play Canada are slot specialists. Scientific Games is an industry giant. They own some of the biggest slot brands around – including Bally, WMS, and Barcrest. Scientific Games also provide table games through their Shuffle Master subsidiary. The list does not stop there. You can add Class II games, lottery terminals, and casino management systems to this list.
Scientific Games have created a new division to bring their games online. Many of the biggest and best online casinos in Canada have games provided by SG Interactive.
Whether you enjoy Scientific Games slots in live casinos or online, this page has you covered. You will find out what games are available under the major sub-brands below. The other casino games are introduced – along with how to get the most from the online versions of SG titles.
What makes Scientific Games slots different?
Many of the best-known slots from live casinos in Canada are part of the Scientific Games portfolio. Their new games are polished, with amazing graphics and impressive new HD cabinets. Some iconic games include Dancing Drums and 88 Fortunes – along with the dynamic Ultimate Fire Link games.
Each of the main brands has distinctive features that separate them from the hundreds of slots you can choose from.
- Bally: Scatter symbols take on new life with this brand. This is highlighted by the iconic Quick Hit games, with ‘Hot Shot’ games using mini-slots as scatter symbols. Bally slots have a fast play and many branded themes including Wonder Woman and Michael Jackson slots.
- Barcrest: With a background in pub fruit machines Barcrest slots are unique. This Scientific Games brand created ‘High Roller Spins’, where you pay extra money for 5 spins that include bonus features. Examples of games using this system include Ooh Aah Dracula.
- WMS: Williams Interactive creates many of the biggest casino slots including Bier Haus, Zeus slots, and Lock it Link games. These games get creative with reel setups. Instead of the regular 5×4 or 5×3 setups, you get cone shapes or even 2 separate sets as used in the Colossal reels games.
These brands still produce slots separately – with others released under the Scientific Games name. This means slot fans have a huge pipeline of new games to enjoy. The competition between the divisions keeps new, novel, and ground-breaking slots being released all the time.
Themed slots games from SG Interactive
Two of the most popular live slots from Scientific Games have Asian themes. As a percentage of their entire list of games – the proportion of Asian slots is the same as most slot software houses. When slot fans hear the names 88 Fortunes and Dancing Drums, they will recognise them instantly.
Both slots have an ornate red and gold bowl above the reels. When coin (scatter) symbols hit the reels, coins are added, until the bowls look like they are about to overflow. At random the bowl will close, triggering a picks game that awards progressive jackpots. Both games have free spins bonuses. The new Dancing Drums Explosion has a huge cabinet, letting you choose how many free spins and what size reel setup you want. A mystery pick option adds even more ‘gamble’ to this bonus feature.
Ultimate Fire link slots from Scientific Games have a hold and spin style bonus with new rows that reveal as you climb. There are several themes in this range, some based on street food, others on mining. If you get 4 or 5 of the fireball symbols, the hold and spin feature starts. As you collect more balls, new rows unlock – giving you extra space to collect more cash awards and jackpots.
This is just the tip of the iceberg for Scientific Games. Their brands create many of the slots that you would make you puzzled if they were missing when you visited a live casino in Canada. Popular games include the spectacular new James Bond range. Each of these games is unique – and each is based on one of the classic movies. Themed bonus games, unusually shaped cabinets, and progressive jackpots are also included.
Gaming brands owned by Scientific Games
Most slots from SG are attributed to one of their three big brands: WMS, Bally, and Barcrest. All were acquisitions, with each studio having a history/portfolio of its own. The global reach of Scientific Games allows for their slots to be mainstays in casinos in Canada, the USA, and beyond.
- WMS: This is one of two brands that started with Pinball machines, before getting into the electromechanical slot scene. Their slots include the Zeus These were the first slots to use Greek myths themes. Newer versions have a cone-shaped reel setup, that reverses during the free spins bonus games. Other popular slots from WMS include Lil Red and Spartacus, which use the 100-lines/2-reel sets setup called Colossal Reels.
- Bally: A second brand with a long history that included pinball machines. Bally is best-known for Quick Hit Slot They have evolved from simple games to themed and ever-more complex versions. The scatter symbols, which can trigger a progressive jackpot, link the titles. There are hundreds of Bally slots in both live and online casinos. They include themed slots and innovative/unique themes. Examples of popular Bally slots include Dragon Spin, Hot Shot Progressives, and Anchorman slots – which are based on the popular comedy movie.
- Barcrest: This SG brand is best known for its Rainbow Riches slots range. They set the standard for Irish themed games. The original game featured free spins, a wishing well picks game, and a second screen ‘road to riches’ feature. Since joining up with SG in 2011, the Rainbow Riches games have become a lot more polished – with multiple variations now available. High roller spins and quirky themes are part of the Barcrest range to this day. Check out other entertaining titles including Ooh Aah Dracula and Barkin’ Mad.
Popular SG Gaming table games
Scientific Games recently acquired Shuffle Master. The primary product of this sub-brand is the automatic shuffling machines used in casinos around Canada. They shuffle one deck of cards while a hand is being played using another deck.
Popular table games including blackjack, 3-Card Poker, UTH, and Casino Hold’em are controlled using Shuffle Master machines. More recently, electronic table games, which use animated avatars instead of live dealers and have multiple stations for gamers have been developed. Side bets are also controlled via SG casino management systems.
Other live casino products from Scientific Games include player management systems. Loyalty cards that track your play (offering you comps and loyalty rewards) and linked progressive jackpots use SG software. This company still provides POS and terminals for lottery and class II gaming throughout the world.
How to play SG Interactive slots online in Canada
SG Interactive has bought many slots from all the key brands into online casinos. They can be found among other titles from live slot creators, plus games from online slot studios including MicroGaming and NetEnt.
You can access Scientific Games slots on both desktops and your mobile devices. If you go via the browser window of your desktop, you get access to a lot of slots. Some of the bigger Canadian casinos have 1,000+ to choose from. You also get to enjoy the graphics and special effects which Scientific Games live slots are known for.
Playing SG Gaming online slots via iPhone or Android apps has an advantage. You will know that these games have been optimized for mobile phone screens — running quickly and smoothly compared to the browser-based games. The disadvantage is that the selection of games in casino apps is limited compared to the full desktop casinos.
SG Interactive casino bonuses & free spins
You can get bonuses and comps to enjoy slot titles from Scientific Games. There are schemes at live casinos around Canada — and online loyalty rewards schemes and welcome bonuses.
If you play live, then it makes sense to sign up for a card that tracks your play. You will get benefits in two ways. First, you collect points based on your coin-in, which can then be switched to free play bonuses or resort credits. Second, you get to enjoy promotions, ballots, and discounts, which are reserved for loyalty scheme members.
It is easy to switch online casinos, which means loyalty rewards have to be solid to keep you playing. You can take advantage of competing for welcome bonuses. These include free spins/no deposit offers. If you get lucky on a Scientific Games slot, you might never need to make a deposit.
The matched welcome bonuses are the biggest deals available. Canadian online casinos will match your first deposit – up to $1,000 and sometimes more. The best casinos keep you regularly rewarded. Look out for a combination of reload bonuses, loyalty schemes, free spins, leaderboards, and one-off/special promotions.
If your online casino does not offer plenty of rewards — multiple other brands will.
Live casinos have reward schemes that offer free play and discounts at restaurants and bars. There are also drawings and special promotions at many venues. Most casinos have a card scheme to sign up for — with some also offering province-wide schemes. Examples include the Winner’s Edge scheme in Alberta. This lets you accumulate points for play at casinos around AB, then redeem them for free play at any participating venue.
Brief history of Scientific Games
This company started in the lottery space. They produced the first secure instant lottery ticket back in 1974. Their lottery products expanded as lotteries rolled out across North America. Their early point of sale terminals provided tickets for in-state and multi-state draws like the Powerball and Mega Millions. At this point the company was called Autotote – they also provided equipment for betting via parimutuel pools.
These days, Scientific Games is a casino gaming powerhouse. Along the way, they acquired many of the best-known brands in the industry. Notable acquisitions include Bally (2014), WMS (2013), Barcrest (2011), and NYX (2018). They continue to run lottery and sports betting operations around the world.
Wrapping up: How do SG Interactive slots compare?
Scientific Games are one of the biggest casino game producers globally. They rival powerhouses like RTG and Aristocrat in their reach. This company grew rapidly over the last 10 years by acquiring some of the biggest brands in casino gaming. Their ‘family’ now includes Bally, WMS, and Barcrest. Lottery, sports betting, and casino management systems are also part of the SG company.
Slots and table games from Scientific Games can be found in casinos around Canada. You can now also play the games online – either on your desktop or on your iPhone/Android smartphone.