You could say the word “lottery” and Prince Edward Island are historically intertwined. In 1758, a lottery was held in London to decide which English merchants and military figures would claim the land on the island.
More than 250 years later, PEI residents have access to a world-class lottery. The province is part of the Atlantic Lottery Corp., and players can participate in big national draws, regional draws, and many daily and instant games.
This page provides information on all the draws and games that the Prince Edward Island lottery offers. It explains how the lottery works, including your options for claiming wins. You will also find details of the big money draws, alternative games and benefits to the community.
How the PEI lottery works
The Atlantic Lottery Corp. oversees lottery gambling. This crown corporation covers the four Atlantic provinces. It is responsible for retail and online lottery draws in Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Newfoundland. The first draws took place in 1976, quickly followed by the first national draws.
You can either play the lottery online or buy tickets from retail outlets. Online tickets are available via the ALC website. You will need to register for an account, which will let you buy tickets for individual draws, purchase tickets via subscription or buy value packs for multiple draws.
Online lottery tickets have a big advantage. The ALC website will automatically check for winning tickets. You will never accidentally miss a winner. The portal also gives you access to instant games, sports betting and slots. To play the lottery in Prince Edward Island you must be 19 or older.
There is a separate smartphone app to check whether your retail lottery tickets have won. You can scan the barcodes to save you the trouble of finding the numbers for each week manually. Another popular use of the ALC lottery portal is to check which (retail) scratch cards have the most jackpots left unclaimed. You can also enter second chance drawings with losing tickets.
How to claim lottery winnings in PEI
Small lottery wins are easy to claim. If your win is $250 or less, you can simply collect it at any retail lottery outlet. You can claim wins up to $9,999 at any branch of the Bank of Nova Scotia or in person at the Atlantic Lottery’s head office in Moncton, New Brunswick.
If you hit it big with a win of $10,000 or more, you need to call the Atlantic Lottery Corp. at 1-800-561-3942 to make an individual arrangement.
Lottery games in Prince Edward Island
You have a wide choice of lottery games on PEI, from huge national draws with life-changing jackpots to instant bingo games for penny stakes. The games are listed below, with more detail about each lower on the page:
- National lottery draws: There are three inter-province draws: Lotto Max, Lotto 6/49 and The Daily Grand.
- Provincial draws: Games across the four Atlantic provinces include the Atlantic 49 draw and a range of daily lottery-style games.
- Scratch cards: Win prizes across a selection of scratch cards with different themes and gameplay. Instant online games work in a similar way, with your choice of stake.
- Casino games: Enjoy a range of virtual casino games like slots, table games and video poker. Options include progressive jackpot slots.
- Sports betting: Bet on a variety of sports, with props, futures and more.
Prince Edward Island lottery: National draws
There are three main national lottery draws that take place twice a week in Canada. Here are the details of each:
Tickets for Lotto 6/49 cost $3 per draw. It takes place each Wednesday and Saturday at 11:30 p.m. Atlantic Time. To play, simply select six numbers between 1 and 49 (or have the terminal/website select them randomly). Alongside those six numbers, you also will receive a unique 10-digit number. This is entered into a guaranteed prize draw for $1 million that takes place alongside the main lottery draw.
To win the jackpot prize, you need to match all six of your numbers plus the bonus ball. The jackpot is seeded at $5 million and will rise until someone wins. Other prizes are awarded if you match two, three, four or five numbers, with larger payouts if you match the bonus ball too.
Entering the national Lotto Max draw costs $5. You select one set of seven numbers between 1 and 50, and the lottery terminal will generate two more selections. You can also generate all three sets randomly if you wish. The Lotto Max draws take place each Tuesday and Friday at 11:30 p.m. AT.
To win the Lotto Max jackpot, simply match all seven numbers. The jackpot starts at $10 million and will rise each time no one wins, up to a maximum of $70 million. Alongside the jackpot win, prizes are awarded on a sliding scale if you match three, four, five or six numbers, as well as the bonus ball.
The Daily Grand
The final national draw has a different prize structure. It costs $3 to enter, with draws taking place each Monday and Thursday at 11:30 p.m. AT. To play, choose five numbers between 1 and 49, and a single Grand Number between 1 and 7. Random selections are available.
To win the Daily Grand jackpot, you need to match those five main numbers and the Grand Number. The main prize is $1,000 a day for the rest of your life. Winning players can also choose a lump sum of $7 million instead. Players who match the five numbers without the Grand Number will receive the second prize of $25,000 a year for life (or a lump sum of $500,000).
Prince Edward Island lottery: Atlantic province draws
There is one major draw that takes place within the four provinces that make up the Atlantic Lottery:
- Atlantic 49: This game follows the same pattern as the Lotto 6/49 and takes place at the same times each Wednesday and Saturday. To play, pick six numbers between 1 and 49. Tickets for this draw cost $2. Like the Lotto 6/49, there is a similar guaranteed prize draw, with one player guaranteed to win $25,000 each draw night. The jackpot prize is seeded at $1 million each week and will grow until it is won.
In addition to the major draws listed above, you can play a series of other draws and instant games at lottery terminals or online. Here are the options:
- Salsa Bingo: This game combines elements of bingo and lottery draw games. Twenty-Eight numbers are drawn each night. Complete one line or more to win a prize. The jackpot pool starts at $10,000 and grows every day until someone wins. Tickets cost $2 for two cards.
- Poker Lotto: This poker-themed game combines an instant win game with a daily draw. Tickets cost $2 and feature five playing cards. If you hit jacks or better, you win an instant prize. Cards are then drawn lottery-style each night, with the top prize for matching all your cards reaching $100,000.
- Hit or Miss: This game pays big if you hit all your numbers, or if you don’t hit any. Tickets cost $2. You get 12 numbers from 24. You get an instant win game, where you can win up to $25,000. Then you’ll take part in a nightly draw, where the top prize is 10 times this amount.
- Lotto 4: A daily draw game with flexible stakes and betting options. You pick four numbers between 0 and 9 and choose to play exact order or any order. You also choose your stake from $1, $2 and $5 options. The top prize is $25,000.
- Bucko: Win up to $20,000 in Bucko for just $1. Each ticket has three sets of five numbers between 1 and 41. Match all five, and the jackpot prize (or share of it) is yours.
- Keno Atlantic: This keno game also has flexibility in stakes and gameplay. You can pick anywhere between two and 10 numbers for each game. At night, 20 numbers are drawn between 1 and 70, and the more numbers you match, the more you win. The maximum prize for this game is $3 million.
PEI lottery draw schedule
Here are the draws you can take part in throughout the week in Prince Edward Island. PEI lottery raws take place at and just before 11:30 p.m. Atlantic Time.
- Monday: Daily Grand
- Tuesday: Lotto Max
- Wednesday: Lotto 6/49, Atlantic 49
- Thursday: Daily Grand
- Friday: Lotto Max
- Saturday: Lotto 6/49, Atlantic 49
Scratch cards in Prince Edward Island
Residents of PEI get a choice of over 100 retail scratch cards at any one time. The games offer distinctive themes and play. They also have a range of purchase prices, from $1 to $30.
On the Atlantic Lottery website, you can see how many prizes are left at each prize tier for any scratch card. This can be useful information. If you see one type with a lot of outstanding jackpots and another card with none outstanding, you will know which one to buy.
Here is a look at typical scratch cards you can play via the Atlantic Lottery:
- White Diamond: This scratch card costs $5 and offers a top prize of $50,000, which two winners can claim. The game sees you reveal five winning numbers and then uncover 20 of your own numbers. If they match, you win the amount revealed.
- Chrome: The $10 cost of the Chrome scratch card is higher than many — though keep in mind that this gives you a shot at winning half a million dollars. This card offers multiple games. There are 400,000 cards out there with winnings of $50 or more.
Instant online scratch cards and novelty games in PEI
You will find scratch cards and novelty games that play in similar ways online at the ALC portal. A big advantage of these “instant” games is that you can choose your stake. The prizes will adjust based on how much you bet.
Games such as Wheel of Fortune: On the Road and Gem Stacks are entertaining branded games with top prizes of $250,000 and $100,000, respectively.
Online casino games in Prince Edward Island
The ALC portal offers a range of virtual casino games, divided into the following sections:
- Jackpots: This section combines games of different types that have big progressive jackpots. Both Powerbucks and MegaJackpots prizes are available. There are currently three jackpot games available.
- Slots: This is the most populated area of the casino, with more than 40 online slot games available. Alongside the jackpot games, you’ll find themed games such as Da Vinci Diamonds and Monopoly, as well as classics like Cleopatra, Siberian Storm and Zeus, and new MegaWays titles.
- Table games: Here you will find a mix of classic casino games like roulette, Let It Ride, online blackjack, and Ultimate Texas Hold’em.
- Video poker: You can try a series of online video poker games on the Game King platform.
Sports betting is offered through Pro-Line
The sports betting option is powered by Pro-Line. Options include placing no-tie “stadium bets,” straight bets, point spreads, totals and props. Put your sports knowledge to the test across football, baseball, hockey and basketball.
Responsible gambling and the PEI lottery
The Atlantic Lottery Corp. discusses all things related to responsible gambling under its PlayWise program, with advice, information and tools geared toward helping people gamble responsibly.
Sections in the program include helplines (the Prince Edward Island helpline is 1-855-255-4255), and links to associated resources. A self-exclusion section allows you to block yourself from playing for a set amount of time. You can also assess your play, with a list of problem gambling warning signs to look out for.
Wrapping up: Lottery games in Prince Edward Island
Players in Prince Edward Island can enjoy the best of all worlds when it comes to lottery gambling. The Atlantic Lottery Corp. has the large national draws featuring massive jackpot prizes multiple times per week. Alongside the multi-provincial games, players can try the regional ALC games, including a million-dollar draw, multiple daily draws, scratch cards and instant win games.
Head online and you will find ticket subscription options, second chance draws and automatic win checking. You can access casino games, bingo, video poker and sports betting from a single account.