Playing Online Poker In Canada
Pairing intelligence and intuition, with just a dash of luck, poker has been loved by players for centuries. It’s always been synonymous with both the Wild West and dapper players on the silver screen, but you can find some of the best action online.
Poker is a hugely popular pastime in Canada, so it’s brilliant that we enjoy relaxed laws that means it’s legal to play online. There are lots of internationally famous tours that make regular stops to our shores and Canucks never get tired of hitting the felt online either. That’s why it’s no wonder that many of the world’s top online poker rooms have tailored their offering to Canadian players, and many let you play and deposit in Canadian Dollars too.
Is Playing Poker Online Different to Playing Live?
In a word, yes. There are strengths and weaknesses to both types of game play, but the one thing that really sets online and live poker apart is the fact that online poker tends to be much faster-paced than playing live.
When you’re playing live, you can be sitting at a table with up to 8-9 other players, waiting for them while they deliberate over their next move.
However, with online poker, things are different. Not only are there fast-fold game types that have taken the industry by storm, you can also opt to play several games at once – called multi-tabling.
And if you’re worried about not getting a read on your opponent, at 888poker, you can choose to play at PokerCam tables and see your opponents sweat in real time.
Where Should You Play Poker Online?
There are so many different places that you can play poker online that sometimes the options are a bit dizzying. That’s why we’ve hand-picked the safest, most reliable and most fun online poker rooms for Canadian players. Now that your choices are narrowed down to the cream of the crop, it should be a little bit easier to find out what poker site suits your playing style best.
This online poker room is attracting players at lightning speed. With someone signing up every 12 seconds, 888poker claims to be the fastest growing online poker room. Canadian players get up to $88 just for signing up – no deposit required. Even if you’re already a fan of online poker, 888poker is unique. The company develops its own software and all the games are exclusive to 888poker. Once you’re ready to invest your own cash, you can take advantage of a first deposit offer of up to $400 and get 10 freeroll tickets while you’re at it too.
Even though bet365 Poker already has 22 million registered players, the company certainly rolls out the red carpet for all of its new Canadian players. But what’s the game play like? It’s a cornerstone member of the PlayTech iPoker network, so that means the games available here are top notch. On top of the cutting-edge technology, you can enjoy a massive player pool, innovative game types and tournaments to suit every player level.
What Types of Poker Can You Play Online?
There are numerous poker game types and variants available to Canadian players online. Some of them are also familiar to any poker player who frequents land-based poker rooms, while others are exclusively available on the internet and are tailored to meet the requirements of thrill-hungry online poker players.
Ubiquitous with poker – both online and live – Texas Hold’em is the world’s most popular poker variant. Your aim during Texas Hold’em is to make the best five-card hand from your two secret hole cards and the communal cards on the table, without revealing your hand’s strength to your opponents.
There are four possible rounds of betting:
- After everyone receives their hole cards
- After the flop (the first three communal cards) is revealed
- After the turn (the fourth communal card) is revealed
- After the river (the fifth communal card) is revealed
During the betting rounds, you have the option to not bet any more (check), put chips into the pot (bet), meet an opponent’s bet (call), bet more than an opponent (raise) or not call your opponent’s bet and remove yourself from the round (fold).
Omaha is similar to Texas Hold’em, but you’re dealt four hole cards instead of two. Of those four cards, you must use two (and only two) of those cards and you must use three of the communal cards to make your best five-card hand.
Almost as popular as Omaha, Omaha Hi/Lo is a favorite among card sharks in Canada and is readily available online.
Poker Game Types at 888 Online Poker
As we said before, one of the core strengths of 888poker is the game selection. From the basics of Hold’em and Omaha to the newest of variants, such as:
- SNAP Poker minimizes wait time between hands. Choose to SNAP Fold and you’ll be whisked to a new table. Choose to fold, watch and play and you’ll see the rest of your hand play out in observer mode.
- BLAST Sit & Go gives four players the chance to win up to 10,000 times their buy-in. When the game starts, the BLAST timer starts counting down – when the time runs out, all players go all-in automatically until there’s a winner.
Poker Game Types at bet365 Online Poker
As bet365 Poker is part of the mammoth iPoker network, it enjoys innovation on an incredible scale, including these revolutionary game types:
- Six Plus Hold’em has more powerful hands more frequently because it’s played with a 36-card deck – the twos, threes, fours and fives are removed. The rules are exactly like Texas Hold’em, except a three of a kind beats a straight and a flush beats a full house.
- Twister Sit & Gos are three-handed tournaments where the randomly determined prize pool can reach up to 1,000 times the buy in.
- Wild Twister Sit & Gos play out exactly like regular Twister Sit & Gos but with one crucial difference – every player goes all-in automatically. That makes them one of the fastest poker games around.
- Premium Steps are exclusive to bet365 Poker, and see three players compete from Step 1, with a buy-in of just €0.50, to Step 9. Whoever triumphs in the final step walks away with a cool €800.