History of Cowboys Casino in Calgary
Cowboys Casino opened its doors in 2012. From the start, the venue aimed for a different image from other casinos in Calgary. Paul Vickers, the owner of the casino, stated,
“Cowboys Casino is a place to go and not just gamble but get out and see all the different entertainment options under one roof. It’s a youthful approach to the casino business.”
Ongoing renovations have ensured that the casino and entertainment complex remain one of the go-to places in Calgary. The latest renovations have been to the poker room, which now features 12 tables.
Slots at Cowboys Casino
In total, there are more than 350 slots at the Cowboys Casino. This is a smaller selection than at some venues. The latest branded games are included, with The Simpsons, Quick Hits and Game of Thrones games highlighted on the Cowboys Casino website. You will find these among the popular games from Aristocrat, IGT and Konami.
Jackpot hunters get a shot at three provincial progressive prizes. Jackpot Junction and American Original offer progressive jackpots that start at $100,000 and $4,000, respectively. The prize that everyone will be after is the Diamond Millions progressive. This prize starts at a million dollars — and grows from there. Many other slots have their own progressive jackpots.
Table games at Cowboys Casino
The table games area at the casino is ideal for both experienced players and those enjoying games for the first time. If you have any questions, the friendly staff will be on hand to answer them. In total, the casino offers seven game types in this area:
- Fortune Pai Gow
- Ultimate Texas Hold ’em
- EZ Baccarat including Hand Held
- Pai Gow Tiles
You can also enjoy blackjack and roulette in the electronic gambling pit.
Head to the Six Shooter Slot Lounge for the high limit action at Cowboys Casino. You can enjoy baccarat, hand-held baccarat, blackjack and Tile Pai Gow — in a tranquil setting away from the main gambling floor. This area also features 30 high limit slot machines ranging from $0.25 to $3.00 per line, and four HDTVs to watch the latest sports action.
The poker room at Cowboys Casino
There are 12 tables of action in the freshly renovated poker room at Cowboys Casino. You can play No Limit Texas Hold ’em, Limit Texas Hold ’em, Pot Limit Omaha and Pineapple at the tables. Here are some of the extras/benefits that poker players can enjoy:
- Sixteen HDTVs so you can keep up with the latest sports action from around the world.
- A full range of sports channels, including Sunday night NFL games.
- Shuffle Master shuffling machines for quicker play.
- Masseuses to help you relax while playing.
- Free breakfast and late-night snacks when you are playing.
- Free heated underground parking.
Any time you’re at the cash game tables and you use your two-hole cards to land a royal flush, a straight flush or quads, you could be in line for a progressive “high-hand” jackpot. Reviews have noted that the rake is lower than at many live poker rooms in the area. This room does not currently advertise any poker tournaments.
Promotions come around regularly at Cowboys Casino, with the current deals published on the website. Examples include the chance to win tickets to the biggest concerts, or wine-and-dine deals and promotions.
There is a loyalty card, called “Club Ocean.” This tracks your play, offering comps based on your coin-in. There are four tiers. All players start at “blue,” with high rollers making their way to the “black” tier.
A promo for those 55 and older called the Elite 55 Club offers biweekly events where you are served lunch and offered giveaways such as $200 in cash or mystery prizes. If you are heading as a group to Cowboys Casino, you can book out-of-town bus tour packages. Get in touch with the customer services team to book your package.
Cowboys Dance Hall: Concerts and nightclub events
The main events at this casino take place in the Cowboys Dance Hall. This hall plays such a large role at the casino that it has its own website. It offers weekly events such as Legendary Fridays and Thirsty Thursdays, while Rush Hour Saturdays see drinks priced at $3 between 9 p.m. and 11 p.m. each weekend. The venue is popular for stag and stagette nights, as well as birthdays.
Hours of operation for the Cowboys Dance Hall are as follows:
- Wednesday: 10 p.m. to 2 a.m.
- Thursday-Saturday: 9 p.m. to 2 a.m.
Cowboys Dance Hall also serves as a concert venue. You can buy tickets in four tiers, and all events are standing room only. Inside the club is a Dogfather hot dog cart, which serves pizza alongside hot dogs with all the toppings.
Cowboys also plays host to a music festival on an annual basis. Acts such as Snoop Dogg, Nelly, Kip Moore, Loverboy, Zedd, Brett Eldredge, Lee Brice, Lil Nas X and more have all played at the festival.
Dining and catering
There are three main food options at Cowboys Casino:
- The Melrose Café opened in 1991 — later becoming part of Cowboys Casino. It has more than 40 HDTVs to watch the latest sports action. The casual dining menu includes more than 30 dishes — along with 45 beers to choose from.
- Highlights from the menu include “classics” such as twisted mac and cheese with bacon and a chicken club. Specialty burgers include the jalapeno burger, the chicken truffle burger and the Melrose burger.
- The Zen 8 Grill: This venue features a welcoming atmosphere and occasional karaoke nights. Appetizers at the restaurant include edamame, shrimp tempura, yam fries and popcorn calamari, while the main meals include Kobe rib eye, chicken breast, salmon filet, tuna steak and hot teriyaki beef.
- Centre Bar: You can also enjoy snacks at the Centre Bar. As the name suggests, this is located in the middle of the casino floor. Enjoy daily specials and a full food and beverage menu. If you are a fan of the Calgary Flames, this is the official post-Flames game destination.
How does Cowboys Casino compare?
This casino stands out from the other venues in the Calgary area. Here the focus is on entertainment — with Cowboys Dance Hall bringing people from miles around.
While the casino itself is mid-sized, the owners have been careful to cover all the most popular game variations. The slots offer games of all stakes, with the opportunity to win incredible prizes — including $1 million+ progressive jackpots. Slots include the latest games, traditional reel slots and a separate selection of high-limit games.
The table games include blackjack, roulette, craps and more. The newly refurbished poker room offers some of the best action in Alberta, with frequent cash games.
No casino would be complete without bars and restaurants. You can find snacks at the Centre Bar and “Dogfather” hot dog stand — or choose Melrose Café or the Zen 8 Grill, where you will enjoy dining in a great atmosphere.