History of Woodbine racetrack and casino
The Woodbine Racetrack is owned and operated by Woodbine Entertainment. The racetrack hosted its first race in 1956. It has a one-mile dirt track, as well as a turf course. Woodbine famously hosted the Arlington Million in 1988 and the Breeder’s Cup in 1996. It is the regular venue for the Queen’s Plate. Queen Elizabeth II has seen the race in person twice, the first time in 1959 for the 100th running, and then again in 2010 for the 151st running.
The casino was added to the racetrack in 1999. At first, slots were the only gaming option. However, in recent years, electronic table gaming has been added and most recently, a license to allow physical table gaming has been granted. Today there are 57,000 square feet of gaming space.
Slots at Casino Woodbine
With more than 2,900 slots available at the casino, there is a game for everyone. On the casino floor players can enjoy games with stakes that start as little as $0.01 per line. High limit reel slots are available at high stakes with $100 per line possible. As the casino states, ‘Casino Woodbine is home to one of the largest and most diverse collections of slot machines in Canada’.
You can win big prizes via line hits and through bonus features, while the biggest prizes of all come via games with progressive jackpots. There are many linked progressives, including the popular Lightning Link, 88 Fortunes, and Wheel of Fortune games.
Woodbine Casino also features slot tournaments. In this format, you compete with other players in a timed game, with some big prizes for the winning players. A highlight is the Million Dollar Classic tournament. This takes place across Ontario and one lucky winner will walk away with $1 million.
As well as the chance to win those big prizes, the casino is also home to some of the best new slots to hit the industry. Games are curated from the biggest providers including Bally, IGT, WMS, Ainsworth, and more. Here are some current highlights:
- Dragons Temple 3D
- Game of Thrones
- Sphinx 3D
- Wheel of Fortune 3D
- Sons of Anarchy
- Buffalo Stampede
- The Walking Dead
Table games at Casino Woodbine
Only a handful of casinos can match the 100 tables available at Casino Woodbine. Here is a rundown of all the game types available:
- Three-card poker
- Caribbean stud poker
- Mississippi stud poker
- Squeeze midi-baccarat
- 21+3 blackjack
- Free bet blackjack
- Blazing 7s blackjack progressive
- Live craps
- High card flush
- Let it ride
- Casino war
- American roulette
Along with the live tables, you can also enjoy electronic action with three-card poker, craps, ultimate Texas Hold’em, and blackjack available. Fortune Cup is a fun and interactive horse racing-based game and one of the first centred around the sport available in the Toronto area.
Dealer assist stadium gaming, which is considered to be the ‘future of gaming’, is a new addition to the casino. This format combines electronic betting with a real dealer. You can enjoy blackjack, baccarat, and casino war at these specially designed consoles.
Horse racing at Woodbine Racetrack
Head to Woodbine on a race day and you can experience some of the best thoroughbred racing in Canada. You can enjoy a full range of betting using the parimutuel pool format. Wagers include win, place, show, exactas, trifectas, and more.
On non-race days you can still enjoy horse racing wagering via the simulcast streams at the casino. Races from around the world are shown in real time on multiple screens. You can bet (again via parimutuel pools) as if you were at the track.
Loyalty scheme at Casino Woodbine
The rewards scheme at the casino is ‘One Rewards’. This is a standard casino loyalty programme. It tracks your play, giving you rewards and discounts. It is available at multiple casinos in Ontario, allowing for points to be accumulated at one casino and redeemed at another.
Every time you wager $5 on slots you will earn one reward point, as well as earning resort comp dollars. You can then redeem the rewards at the casino with either free play, discounts on fuel, complimentary dining, or money off in the shops at the casino.
This scheme features five different levels — ruby, silver, gold, privé, and elite. You start at ruby level and then move on to the other levels as you earn more points. Here’s a look at the additional rewards you can enjoy as part of the scheme:
- Earn reward points and resort comp points (all levels)
- Enjoy double reward days where you can earn points at double the rate or redeem them for double points (all levels)
- Dining rewards, Esso Mobil fuel discount and featured products (all levels)
- Free valet parking (privé and elite levels)
- Access to VIP privé room, invitations to special events, and priority restaurant seating (privé and elite levels)
- Signature event access, travel concierge, and companion card for spouse/significant other (elite level)
Dining options at the Casino Woodbine
There are multiple dining options at this casino, with even more options open to you on race days.
Here is a brief look at each of the restaurants and bars:
- Woodbine Club Dining Room: Offering timeless and elegant dining in a wood-panelled room. Enjoy an à la carte menu and a sumptuous prime rib buffet.
- Post Parade Dining Room: Here you can dine overlooking the track with floor-to-ceiling windows and an exceptional à la carte menu.
- Favourites Dining Room: Enjoy the chef’s buffet and sizzling prime rib in a relaxed setting, once again overlooking the track.
- Food court: Enjoy food on the go, including burgers, chicken, pizza, and even bubble tea. There is something for everyone here.
- Finish Line Bar: As the name suggests, this bar is located over the finish line where you can enjoy a drink in a casual atmosphere.
- Hoofbeats Lounge: Enjoy fast and tasty cafeteria-style food seven days a week in a setting close to the slots.
- Willows Dining Room: Enjoy a brunch, lunch, or dinner buffet, or order à la carte here in the heart of the casino.
- Willows Noodle Bar: Set in the heart of the slots, stop by for a steaming bowl of noodles.
- Tim Hortons: A place to go for your favourite hot drink.
- ProsperiTEA Bubble Tea Shop: Enjoy a range of refreshing bubble teas
All Ontario Casino Reviews
How does Casino Woodbine compare?
Casino Woodbine is one of the most impressive casinos in Ontario. As part of the historic racetrack, you can enjoy both the thoroughbred horse racing action and the casino on race days, or simply head to the casino at any time of day (or night) to enjoy the gambling action. The range of slots on offer is incredible, with games to suit every pocket and the chance to win some amazing jackpots. You will find all the most popular table games at more than 100 tables, with additional electronic games that include the all-new dealer assist stadium gaming. At the end of a day’s gaming, head to one of the many restaurants or bars.